Why You Should Never Poison Wild Animals

Ending your wildlife infestation with the help of the poison can possibly reduce the population of the pesky critters but it also has an immense effect to other living creatures. Aside from the direct impact of the poison such as contaminating the land and water sources, the poison will take days to take effect which exposes other animals to secondary poisoning. Killing other Miami animals that are protected by the federal law, whether intentional or unintentional is illegal.

Type of Poison and Its Adverse Effect
Different poisons may contain various chemicals. Bromadiolone, brodificoum, and warfarin, are type of anti-coagulants. This will lead to the internal bleeding. Those animals that will be exposed to the secondary poisoning will also experience the same symptom. In case your child accidentally ingests them, you will have to seek for proper medical attention to eliminate the effect. Cholecalciferon and phosphides can kill the animal after a couple of hours.

ACR (Anticoagulant)
This type of poison can inhibit the development of Vitamin K. This vitamin is dependent to the blood clotting that is processed in the liver. When an animal ingested this poison in high amount, it will cause internal hemorrhage. Luckily, you can be provided with an antidote to negate the effect of the poison. It will take at least 3 days before the symptoms will manifest. Some signs that you need to pay attention to will include hematomas, bloody nose, vomiting and coughing especially with blood, lethargy, breathing difficulty, bleeding gums that will eventually lead to death.

This is perhaps the worst type of poison that an animal can accidentally ingest. Ingesting this poison can increase the production of calcium in their body that can cause kidney failure. Compared to anticoagulant, there is no known antidote against cholecalciferol and can only be treated. However, treating the victim of this poison will be expensive. The non-targeted animal will have to stay at the vet’s office for 7 days. Some of the signs include weight loss, tremors, weakness, anorexia, and death.

While the name of this poison may remind you of bromadiolone, which is an anticoagulant, their effects will not be related with the clotting of the blood. They can cause the swelling of the brain or also known as cerebral edema. Once an animal ingested this, they can experience lethargy, vomiting, seizures, and coma that will eventually lead to death. Inducing the vomiting can significantly reduce the effect of the poison.

This will not be the most common type of poison, but it is also poisonous to adult humans. They can be used to kill the larger Miami animals. Once an animal ingests them, this can produce a potent gas inside the stomach known as phosphine gas. Feeding the animal with anything can worsen the effect of the poison.

These are just some of the effect of the poison. In case non-targeted creature accidentally ingested these poisons, they will experience the symptoms we mentioned here for a couple of days.

Visit our Miami animal removal home page to learn more about us.